Email Page Print Page

My Story

Sue | age 64
Self Employed
DePere, WI
10 years, 10 months since her MammoSite treatment.

Every year I have my physical the week of my Birthday. 2 days after turning 53, I was called to come back in as they thought they saw something different on the Mammogram from previous years, even though nothing was felt during my physical exam earlier that week. I ended up with an Ultra Sound, then a Compression mammogram. Both were inconclusive. Then I was sent to see surgeon Dr. Collette Salm-Schmid about a biopsy. After reading my records, she suggested that we do a Breast MRI. That test was on a Friday but was also inconclusive. So they repeated the test the following Monday but also using a Dye Contrast this time. This revealed questionable cells so they did a Vacuum Assisted Biopsy at that same time. They found cancer cells. Less than 1 year after my 84 year old Mothers diagnosis of BC, I was told I also had cancer. I took my Mother to her radiation treatments everyday for 63 days. Mom was totally exhausted during all these treatments.

I had a Lumpectomy mid-September. My Sentinal Lymph Node Biopsy was clear, but I had Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with Lobular tendencies, Stage 1, Grade 2 with Hormone Positive Receptors. I had a re-lumpectomy a month later at which time I chose to have the new MammoSite High Dose Radiation Treatments. (We did Gene typing and I did not have to go through Chemo treatments.) The balloon was inserted on a Friday and treatment began on the following Monday. After my 10th treatment (2 per day), the balloon was removed. Everyone was very supportive at the Vince Lombardi Cancer Center at Aurora Bay Care Medical Center, Green Bay, WI. I consider myself very lucky to say that I am a Breast Cancer survivor and after being on Arimidex and Aromasin each for 1 year, I am now on Tamoxafin to help prevent the cancer from returning.

During the summer of 2010, I found out a fellow member of mine at the Boston Terrier Club of Milwaukee was scheduled to have a double mastectomy. My heart sank for my friend so I immediately contacted her. Then I had Betty contact my breast surgeon, Dr. Colette Salm-Schmid. I e-mailed my surgeon to see how quickly she could get Betty in for an exam, and she replied, "Have her contact me and we'll work her in right away", which they did. To make a long story short, Betty lived in our Guest House for the week as she was a perfect candidate for the MammoSite High Dose Radiation treatments, but lived almost a 3 hour drive from the treatment center. Aurora Bay Care in Green Bay was at that time the only Hospital in Wisconsin, to offer this treatment, so I was very happy to tell Betty about the MammoSite treatments and very happy that I saved her from having a double mastectomy.

Dr. Colette is now located at St. Mary's Hospital in Green Bay with additional locations in Neenah, Oconto Falls and and a new location opening soon in Sturgeon Bay.

I share my story with everyone that I meet and I would love to help other women that are newly embarked upon this new journey in their life. I kept a positive attitude during the whole process.....which makes a big difference.

It was 7 years on August 27th 2015, since I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Everything is looking great with no sign of its return. I ask everyone I meet if they or their wife is up to date with their I believe early detection really saves lives.

Please contact me if you need someone to talk to. I'd love to be your morale support, during this trying time.

Have a great day!

This profile is solely the words of the person who received MammoSite Targeted Radiation Therapy to treat breast cancer. Note that this profile is specific to this particular person, and experiences will vary.