Email Page Print Page

My Story

Shirley | age 79
Columbus, OH
12 years, 7 months since her MammoSite treatment.

On January 5, 2007, I went to the Women’s Health Center at Doctor’s Hospital in Columbus, OH for a routine yearly mammogram. A few days later, they called to schedule an appointment for additional pictures and an ultrasound of my left breast. On January 11, the radiologist and the Women’s Health Center nurse told me that I had to see a surgeon, and I was referred to Mark Cripe, D.O. by my family doctor.

My first appointment with Dr. Cripe was on January 15, 2007 with a biopsy done in his office on January 18, 2007. This was negative, but he suggested a lumpectomy, which was scheduled for January 30, 2007 at Doctor’s Hospital. On February 1, 2007 Dr. Cripe called to inform me that it was cancer. He had removed the abnormality shown on mammogram and ultrasound which was negative, but he felt an abnormal area and biopsied it. This is where the cancer was found. He told me he had to do additional surgery and also test the lymph nodes. This was scheduled for the next day, February 2 at Grant Hospital.

The results were Stage I and I had no lymph node involvement, for which Dr. Cripe had previously suggested external breast radiation.

When I returned to his office on March 7, 2007, he suggested MammoSite for the first time. I was more than willing to try this, as I was dreading 7 weeks of external radiation. I said, “When do you want to do it?” He said “tomorrow.” I returned to his office on March 8 and had the MammoSite inserted under local anesthesia. There was no pain! He was at first concerned that almost 4 weeks had passed since the surgery and that scar tissue would prevent the insertion, but he had no problem.

Five days later the internal radiation was begun at Grant Hospital for 5 days, twice a day on March 13, 14, 15, 16 and 19. At first there was a concern that I did not have enough clearance, and that I would get radiation burn. The area that turned red was smaller than my fingernail and it never did weep or scab over. I went on a 9-day vacation 4 days after completing the treatments and have not gotten any other side effects to date.

I did have some slight discomfort when MammoSite was removed after the last treatment. Apparently some healing had begun to take place. On mentioning this to Dr. Cripe he said that he would have preferred to do this himself but that it had been set up that way at the hospital, so the radiation oncologist on call that day, Dr. Becker, removed it.

All in all, I am eternally grateful to MammoSite, Dr. Cripe, and all of the oncology team. I can’t even imagine having to undergo 7 weeks of trips to receive external radiation! That would have worn me out at age 67!

I would like to recommend MammoSite to all women who qualify. It is advanced technology at its best!

This profile is solely the words of the person who received MammoSite Targeted Radiation Therapy to treat breast cancer. Note that this profile is specific to this particular person, and experiences will vary.