Email Page Print Page

My Story

Bertha | age 75
Little Rock, AR
12 years since her MammoSite treatment.

I had not had a mammogram in 6 years even though for the entire time I had been receiving cards from the Baptist Breast Center about how important yearly mammograms are. That was where my last mammogram was performed. Finally for a reason I do not know, I looked at one of the cards and called and made an appointment. When I told my husband that I had made the appointment he said ďThank You.Ē A few days after the mammogram I was called to come back in for another mammogram and ultrasound. I was not too surprised because this had happened before. Then they wanted me to come for a needle biopsy, and then I got worried. On June 28, 2006 about 8:30 AM, I was called and told that I had intermediate cancer and would need surgery and chemo. Needless to say that knocked me for a loop. I really was not expecting that diagnosis. I called my GYN that I have been going to for over 30 years and asked for the name of a surgeon. He suggested one Dr. that I could not see for 10 days. Meanwhile a friend from church that had just gone through chemo and radiation had called to encourage me and suggested her surgeon Dr. Jerri Fant. On Thursday I called Dr. Fantís office and found out that they had just had a cancellation for Friday afternoon and that I could see her then. God had to be in this because Iím afraid that I would have lost my mind if I had to wait 10 days. My husband and I went to Dr. Fant on Friday. She had already seen all the results from all the tests. The first thing she said to me after introductions was that I was going to be ok. No one will ever know how that helped me. She took over an hour with us explaining exactly what was wrong and then gave us all the options available. The surgery was scheduled for the next Wednesday.

After surgery I was told by Dr. Diane Wilder, the oncologist, that I would not need chemo. Then Dr. Fant told us about the new method of radiation called MammoSite and she thought I was a very good candidate. This procedure had not yet been performed in Little Rock, AR but it made sense to us that this would be the best way to go.

I am so thankful for a doctor that stays up with the newest technology available.

Then after some healing time I went to Dr. Fantís office for the tube to be inserted into my breast. This procedure only took a few minutes and was almost painless. They did numb my breast for the procedure. After that I went to St. Vincentís CARTI for x-rays to make sure that the balloon was in the correct place. Monday morning at 7AM I had my first treatment and finished on Friday afternoon at which time the tube was removed. I just canít see anyone not choosing MammoSite if their Dr. thinks they are a candidate. I have no regrets and am most happy to recommend this method of radiation.

This profile is solely the words of the person who received MammoSite Targeted Radiation Therapy to treat breast cancer. Note that this profile is specific to this particular person, and experiences will vary.